April 27, 2024, 11:11:59 pm

News:

Unlogical names will be denied acces. Check your mail/spambox!

Patrik's dsr aquarium

Started by pkarl45, August 21, 2014, 07:17:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pkarl45

Hi!
My name Patrik and I live in Sweden. I have kept reefaquarium for many years and tried out a lot of system over the years, including zeolite, but never been so grateful over a system that the Dsr is providing me. The corals and system is flourishing right now and I have not done a waterchange for 2 month now:-)

Still, I do have a 2 question a need an answer for.
1. I still use zeolite stones in an reactor. Should I continue to do so or can I stop using it?
2. Activated carbon. I use it today but thinking of skip that to. Any thoughts on that?

Regards
Patrik

glennf

August 22, 2014, 03:29:38 pm #1 Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:47:33 am by glennf
Quote from: pkarl45 on August 21, 2014, 07:17:40 pm
Hi!
My name Patrik and I live in Sweden. I have kept reefaquarium for many years and tried out a lot of system over the years, including zeolite, but never been so grateful over a system that the Dsr is providing me. The corals and system is flourishing right now and I have not done a waterchange for 2 month now:-)

Still, I do have a 2 question a need an answer for.
1. I still use zeolite stones in an reactor. Should I continue to do so or can I stop using it?
2. Activated carbon. I use it today but thinking of skip that to. Any thoughts on that?

Regards
Patrik

I have use zeolites in the past,  but found out it had no adittional value. I left them running for a year and later on removed all te stones. I saw no difference.
So wheater You can leaf them out there or remove them, i see no harm in either.
I can act as extra biomass if you leaf them out there.

i don't use Activated Carbon, only if you suspect poisoning you can use activated carbon.
(Heavy metals e.g. copper, zinc)

If you dose iron as an trace element activated carbon wil remove it right away.

greetings, GlennF

pkarl45

Hi Glenn! One thing that has always bothered me is: how much food should I feed? How do you know when you have been feeding to much or to little? I know how much I can feed to keep the phosphate and nitrate low or high. My question is: is it better to feed smaller amount of food and then add nitrate and phosphate solution or is it better to add more food and then use iron to keep the phosphate level low?
//Patrik

glennf

Quote from: pkarl45 on November 05, 2014, 09:55:17 pm
Hi Glenn! One thing that has always bothered me is: how much food should I feed? How do you know when you have been feeding to much or to little? I know how much I can feed to keep the phosphate and nitrate low or high. My question is: is it better to feed smaller amount of food and then add nitrate and phosphate solution or is it better to add more food and then use iron to keep the phosphate level low?
//Patrik
food is related to you life stock.
You feed you fish enough, but not to much. My opinion is to never feed to get more po4 and No3, because you don't want to fuel extra decomposition processes, which build up detritus and therby initiating a cyano outbreak.

greetings, GlennF

glennf

Also read this:
http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=149.msg461.msg#461

I need time to translate all these posting for users outside the netherlands

greetings, GlennF

pkarl45

Quote from: glennf on November 08, 2014, 11:37:20 am
//Patrik
You feed you fish enough, but not to much. My opinion is to never feed to get more po4 and No3, because you don't want to fuel extra decomposition processes, which build up detritus and therby initiating a cyano outbreak.

greetings, GlennF

Sorry for the replay replay, but, thanks for your advise. But, how on earth can you feed so much to your tank? I mean, it's a huge amount of food you feed everyday. For me, if I feed more than a teaspoon of pellets or reef paste (h2O ocean) and a very small amount of coral food my phosphate goes up to much.
Anyway, I will do as you do and keep it at a steady level. The fish looks good, including the P. Imperator and the anthias so I guess they get enough food.
Regards
Patrik

glennf

Quote from: pkarl45 on November 14, 2014, 11:23:13 pm
Quote from: glennf on November 08, 2014, 11:37:20 am
//Patrik

greetings, GlennF

Sorry for the replay replay, but, thanks for your advise. But, how on earth can you feed so much to your tank? I mean, it's a huge amount of food you feed everyday. For me, if I feed more than a teaspoon of pellets or reef paste (h2O ocean) and a very small amount of coral food my phosphate goes up to much.
Anyway, I will do as you do and keep it at a steady level. The fish looks good, including the P. Imperator and the anthias so I guess they get enough food.
Regards
Patrik

The lager the tank the more stability.
Not only fish eat food, the whole tank is alive and eating along including bacteria.
But having good working technics supported bij iron and carbon dosing is a great help.

greetings, GlennF

pkarl45

Hi!
Me and my family will move to a new appartment in the middle of january and I will have to restart the aquarium. My question is: Is it ok to use the salt formula you are providing to create new water in a completly new aquarium? Do I need to provide some extra trace elements to it?
Regards
Patrik

glennf

Quote from: pkarl45 on November 18, 2014, 11:38:57 am
Hi!
Me and my family will move to a new appartment in the middle of january and I will have to restart the aquarium. My question is: Is it ok to use the salt formula you are providing to create new water in a completly new aquarium? Do I need to provide some extra trace elements to it?
Regards
Patrik

Congrats with your new apartment and succes with moving.

The DSR salt mix is fine and and is being used to start tanks "Full DSR".

greetings, GlennF