April 27, 2024, 07:09:48 pm

News:

Unlogical names will be denied acces. Check your mail/spambox!

1800 l tank in Fort Lauderdale

Started by AGBDiver, October 26, 2014, 08:51:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AGBDiver

Hello all,
I have started using the DSR method on my tank this week.  I will post a photo of my measured parameters from the DSR Calculator.  The tank has been running about 16 months and coral growth has been very slow.  My idea is to have a mixed reef with mostly SPS.  I had been using Reef Crystals salt up until now and purchased the DSR supplements from Seaflower.  So now I am ready to start dosing!  My SPS adventure so far has not been too successful.  I have lost several frags which tend to slowly bleach from the bottom up. Equipment of the tank is as follows:
Base Rock from Marco Rocks covers 2/3 of back wall and side wall of display, as well as 2 bommies created inside the tank.
1.5" Live aragonite sandbed
Lighting is 9 x EcoTech Radion G2
Next Reef custom Calcium Reactor
Next Reef custom Protein skimmer
Flow provided by 2 x EcoTech MP60 pumps and 4 x EcoTech MP40
380 liter sump with 6 filter socks, 10" deep sand bed, live rock and macro algae. Lighting is opposite of display tank.
133 litre refugium with Miracle Mud, macro algae and live rock, lighting is on when display tank is lit.  Refugium located above display tank and flow is directly into display tank to maximize live copod delivery as supplement fish food.
Dolphin Amp Master Diamond 6250 for main tank circulation, feeding protein skimmer, chiller and refugium flow
7 days ago I removed a pellet reactor since my Nitrates were registering 0.
I do run a GFO (granular ferric oxide) reactor mixed with carbon which I think I need to remove?
For the past few months I have had an issue with red cyano bacteria in the tank.  I have been removing it manually.
I feed the fish 2x per day with pellets and frozen food.  Anemones are fed once per week with silversides and coral once per week with Reef Chili or other coral foods.
I will post photos later.

glennf

October 29, 2014, 06:59:25 pm #1 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:11:30 pm by glennf
welcome AGBDriver,  (what's your name? )
it  would be nice to see some pictures, before we can determine a good strategy.
removing the pellets and GFO is a start.
to run DSR successful nothing else is needed but a basic setup and lighting.

i have a  "DSR required equipments list" in dutch, when this is a problem  i can translate this in english. (I need time to do that)

http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=454.0

first things first:
- because using the right test are part being successful, please mention the test used for measuring
- to successful keep LPS and most soft corals you need some nitrate available (follow the calculators advice)
- led lighting is OK with most corals, it can be a challenge to promote long term growth with led.  it even seems that some  acropora's species can't be kept under led (RTN). i am not agains led , but it's good to keep this in mind for future reference.

islandreef

Hi Guys,
Straight from google translate, but thought worth posting.
Cheers Ben

In DSR , I use a minimum of technique .

What do you need:
- Aquarium (preferably with sump , or a compartment with an overflow ) .
- 3-point flow pumps
  http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=15.0
- Power filter (pump with cotton wool )
  http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=23.0
- Good working skimmer
   http://youtu.be/L9ttg276RCw
- Fine coral sand 0.5-1mm
- Live rock to graft ( gradual introduction )
- For aquariums with many dot -sensitive fish UV and ozone .
- Preferably a lighting concept and prove as T5

Everything that is needed to create new water in a DSR600 salt .
http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

Everything that is needed to maintain an aquarium is in a DSR100 / 250/500 starts packet. These aquarium maintenance packages for ~ 1 year . , Respectively, meant for 100, 250 or 500 liters.
Do you have a 1,000 gallon system , you buy a DSR500 to start and complete it later just to loose products, even in large ( bulk) packaging are available .

You also need the recommended tests. (These are also listed in the DSR calculator)
In addition, I want to emphasize that the Redsea PO4 NO3 Salifert test and the test results are a must and there very much depend

NOT what is being used :
- NO other nitrate and phosphate removers than are included in DSR Sat GFO , lanthanum , etc. biopellets
- NO fluidized bed filters.
- NO nitrate ( brimstone ) reactors.
The combination of iron and aluminum phosphate removers should be avoided simultaneously.
The combination biopellets and CarbonVS dosage should be avoided. I get field signals that sometimes even counterproductive.
- NO Bacterial preparations
- NO antibiotics, bacteria nutrition / boaster , algae control agents etc.

A lime reactor is not needed, but the DSR calculator can be used to complement deficiencies of a reactor .

A dosing pump is not necessary, but it is very easy as the consume once determined .
A 4 -channel dosing pump you already from 100 euros , so you do not have to let stand for.

For total convenience, I would go for two dosing pumps with a total of 8 channels.
200 euros is not much money and so earned back, if you consider that you no reactors and fills this need more and , in principle, have no calcium reactor longer necessary because DSR is in itself a solution.