April 28, 2024, 12:43:08 am

News:

Unlogical names will be denied acces. Check your mail/spambox!

Iron and iodine readings

Started by glennf, July 14, 2015, 07:25:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

glennf

question:

QuoteHi Glenn,

I have been fascinated by your approach to reefkeeping and am attempting to follow your lead.

I have purchased various test kits and supplements from Seaflower of your additives and trace elements etc.

I have followed your full instrusions to make 100 litres of DSR salt, but when it comes to adding Fe and Iodine, I am having difficulty getting any readings of their content even after five attempts and adding the elements five times with no increase.

Can you help.?

Many thanks

xxx

glennf

July 14, 2015, 07:37:15 pm #1 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:39:15 pm by glennf
IODINE.

1- Iodine is a very reactive element and seems te gets absorbed into the substrate. it will do this untill and equilibrium is established.
so it wil take a little while to get it at a stable level.
My advice is to take it easy and do a correction dosing at every measurement once every 1 or 2wks.
Doing a daily dosing of 0,006ppm (1/10) untill you get a stable reading will keep iodine available for the time being.

2- There seems to be an issue with a batch of salifert Iodine test.
These test may produce a lower reading.

i am busy with a way to work around this issue.

you can do the test yourself.
if you have never applied Iodine (at least not for 10 days), you can do a I2 measurement . It should measure approximately 0,00ppm
apply 0,06 ppm DSR I+, using the DSR calculator.
10 minutes after this dosing you should measure exactly 0,06ppm.
if this is not the case, your iodine test is not accurate with a 4 minutes reading.
if you wait for 12-16 minutes  you wil get the 0,06ppm reading.

after establishing this period, next time use the same period to do the readout.

To keep I available, Iodine dosing is recommended as a daily dosing using a dosing pump.

Kieran

Many thanks Glenn, I shall try leaving the test for 12-16 minutes now.

What about no FE readings using the Sera kit?

glennf

July 14, 2015, 08:32:20 pm #3 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:39:39 pm by glennf
IRON (Fe).
Iron is also a very reactive element.
it reacts with many elements and percipitate, which make it unavailable ans unmeasurable into the watercolumn.
in DSR we use Iron dosing  for 2 reasons.
1- to remove PO4 from the watercolumn by percipitation. The percipitate FePO4 wil be removed feom the system bij powerfilter and skimming.
2- As a trace element for green and red coloring.

because iron is very reactive, it will be unmeasurable within 6 hours already.

so if you like to measure  your dosing, you need to do the measurement 10 minutes after dosing.

i have 2 iron supplements:
Fe+ , which is used  primarily for PO4 removal
Fe Trace, which is used primarily as a trace element.

the both work about the same, but the one is more bounded than the other one, so that's why they are more effective at their targeted application.

Fe measuremet is only a failsave to establisch Fe will not build up in your system. onces establisch the Fe measuring interval can be extended to once a month, or when you suspect any problem.

To keep both Fe available and control PO4, Fe dosing is recommended as a daily dosing using a dosing pump.

glennf

July 14, 2015, 08:42:38 pm #4 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:44:20 pm by glennf
read these topics also.
most is in dutch, but
some are already translated.

Fe+ topic
http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=406.0

Fe Trace topic
http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=407.0